“Empire” producers reportedly weighing whether to suspend Jussie Smollett


“Empire” producers are reportedly weighing whether to suspend Jussie Smollett now that he’s been charged with filing a false police report.

Sources close to the show told Variety on Wednesday night that Fox began mulling over a possible punishment for Smollett after his racist attack story was officially denounced by Chicago authorities.

The network had been standing firmly behind the actor, issuing a statement earlier in the day that said he was still considered a “consummate professional on set” and wasn’t being “written out of the show,” despite reports saying otherwise.

One production source told Variety that Smollett was scheduled to be on the Chicago set of “Empire” this Thursday — the same day he’s due in court — but the producers are not planning on changing their shooting schedule.

A spokesperson for 20th Century Fox Television could not confirm or comment on the magazine’s report or possible suspension.

Smollett, 36, is facing a class 4 felony charge for filing a false police report last month in connection to a racist and homophobic attack that he claims to have suffered. His lawyers insist that he’s innocent and have vowed to “mount an aggressive defense.”



Source link